What is a Certificate of Occupancy & When is One Needed?
- No space may be occupied until a certificate of occupancy (CO) is issued.
- When all appropriate final inspections are completed, outstanding re-inspection fees paid and required vegetative and erosion measures are addressed, a CO will be issued.
- Power must be on for electrical and mechanical final, and water must be on for plumbing final inspection.
- *Blower Door test or Duct Tightness test shall be posted at the Electrical Panel at the time of the Mechanical Final.
- New Business – All new business requires a final inspection and a certificate of occupancy prior to operation.
- New Residence – All new residential uses including one and two family require a final inspection and certificate of occupancy prior to use.
- Changes of Use / Ownership – Changes in the business type or use of a building require a new certificate of occupancy. .
Note: No new business shall engage in business prior to obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy and a City of South Fulton business license.
Certificate of Occupancy Process
Certificates of Occupancy will be processed 24 hours after all inspections and fees have been paid.
A Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued the same day it is requested.
If you are in need of a CO (Certificate of Occupancy), please note the following requirements:
- All Finals must be passed
- All re-inspection fees and/or outstanding fess must be paid
Please email your request for a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) to the Permits Staff.