Zoning Ordinance Rewrite
The City of South Fulton is in the process of rewriting the Zoning Ordinance previously referred to as the Zoning Resolution. The City’s goal is to develop a clear and user-friendly Zoning Ordinance that is consistent with adopted plans and policies, and reflects the changing environment. Emphasis will be placed on providing a more predictable set of land use regulations and improving the efficiency of the land development process.
What is Zoning?
In general, zoning is a system of land use regulation which designates the permitted or prohibited uses of land based on location. Every property in the City is assigned a zoning classification that identifies how the property can be used. Zoning is a means of ensuring that the land uses of a community are properly situated in relation to one another, providing adequate space for each type of development including:
- The use of buildings and land
- The height and size of buildings and other structures
- The area of a lot which may be occupied and the size of required open spaces
- The density (the number of units per area of land) of development
- Standards for streetscape/landscape and architectural features
Zoning is also used to implement the Comprehensive Plan and ensure designated land uses are aligned between the two processes. The Comprehensive Plan is a long-range policy document used to guide future growth and development.
How Is zoning regulated in the City of South Fulton?
Zoning is delegated to the City of South Fulton through the State of Georgia Constitution and is governed by the Zoning Procedures Law O.C.G.A. Chapter 36-66. The current Zoning Resolution or Zoning Ordinance is a carryover from Fulton County and will be rewritten to reflect the City’s desired regulation of land uses.
We Want Your Participation!
The Zoning Ordinance Rewrite process is important to everyone in the City of South Fulton, and public involvement is a critical component. Public engagement will take place throughout the process.
A dedicated project e-mail is also available to send comments throughout the process and provide your contact information to be added to our communications database. You may also request hard copies of the survey through e-mail. The address is: email@example.com
• January/February Target: Complete and Review Recommendations
• Open House at the South Fulton Arts Center (TBA)
(4645 Butner Road, Atlanta, Ga 30349)
• April Target: Adoption Process
In order for the Zoning Ordinance to be adopted in April, the following targeted dates would apply:
• April 14: Council Meeting, 1st Reading / Public Hearing
• April 28: Council Meeting, 2nd Reading / Adoption
Click here to review the Zoning Ordinance